Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Skins: Classic Kye and Xmas Kye appearance

These skins used to be included in the game's distribution but not anymore in an effort to keep the main package completely free. They are skins that make the game look more like the original Kye versions.

Classic skin


The classic skin imitates Kye 2.0 as much as it can. Of course, new sprites had to be added but I tried to keep the style.
Xye skin - classic Kye.zip

Xmas Kye and Xmas Kye Jr skins

These skins are mostly the work of Justin De Lucia getting the sprites from those games and adapting them to make a Xye skin that looks as close as possible. Of course, there have to be exceptions because although the Xye equivalent of Kye Jr.'s ice block are yellow objects, we couldn't just rename yellow into ice for gameplay reasons. (Or could we?). Anyway, here is :
XMASKYESKIN.zip

How to install new skins.
You gotta find your personal res folder.
- In Windows, the res folder is just a subfolder of the one in which Xye.exe is.
- In Linux and similar, head to /home/yourusername/.xye/res

Extract the zips to the res folder. (The files themselves should be located in res, not in a subfolder of res.)

The future
Speaking of custom skins, take a look to this:

7 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for featuring my Christmas Kye graphic set. If you want to make a larger version, feel free to do so. The new skin preview looks excellent, can't wait to try it out.

    In other news, I really liked the purple blocks, but I'm against re-coloring Xye to be mint green as opposed to regular green. I just thought it looked better with the 256 green because it stayed true to the graphics of the original Shareware Kye, which was a part of my childhood.

    Also, why don't you put the 15 shareware Kye levels and Colin's other Kye levels into Phipps.kye? I believe he was the author for those levels as well, so I don't think it'd start any contraversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I believe he was the author for those levels as well"

    I don't know about that.
    ---

    What I do know is that Colin Phipps' levels page includes a free to use license for all the levels in that page. There is really no known license for the other levels including those in shareware Kye. I am avoiding to include stuff that we do not have a clear license to redistribute.

    I have been trying to contact Colin Garbutt to talk about sprites and levels licensing but it seems difficult to find him. Until then, Shareware Kye sprites and levels won't be in the Xye zip I distribute.
    --

    Regarding the green, you can change it by editing xyeconf.xml and next version will allow you to pick your favorite color for it (using the color picker that will be added to the editor).

    The following is contents for xyeconf.xml that you can use to set Xye to pure green: http://pastebin.com/HA0ifR65

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason I don't put Colin Phipp's other levels in Phipps.xye, is simply that I like quests, jungle, problem and mystical the most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I believe he was the author for those levels as well"

    I have given some thought to this and I don't think so. In the final Kye 2.0 , Colin Phipps is credit for jungle.kye and quests.kye (included in Phipps.xye), but no mention of it in regards to default.kye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just one small thing to mention; in the two Xmas Kye skins, the purple objects still appears as their normal hue; and not in a pastel color like the other blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's probably because I didn't update the XML files accordingly (you can too).

    I think I will release a version of the xmas skin that forces the old green tone and does other things. You can update yours based on those changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @vexorian

    If you do, please do the color forcing for the classic skin(s) as well. Also to go with the colors, I think the classic Kye skin's Purple should be color #800080, since it's part of the 16bit Windows color palette.

    Also, feel free to do enlarged versions of the XMas Kye skins as well.

    ReplyDelete